Friday, April 08, 2005

The Pope and The Pagan

I’ve been asked this week why I am so very fascinated by the death of Pope John Paul II this week. A very good question. What is the connection between a Pagan and Pope?

First some background. I was not born Pagan. I was actually born into Catholicism. My mother converted when she was in High School, and the Church was quite important to her. I took after my mother in so much – religion was just one area of many. I found joy in the Church. I went to a Catholic school until 3rd grade – Holy Cross. (There weren’t any private schools in Gunnison.) Some of my favorite, happiest memories are associated with the Church: crowning the May Queen in first or second grade, serving as an alter girl, my first communion, my confirmation. One Christmas, Father John decided to do a Q&A instead of a homily during Mass. No one spoke up, and Father looked uncomfortable. So I piped up. “Did Jesus have any brothers and sisters?” Watching Father John try to explain “virginity” to a 5th grader is a site I’ll never forget.

But in some ways, the things the Church did right is exactly what led me away from it’s teachings. The Church encouraged me to question my faith in order to strengthen it. I didn’t like some of the answers I found. Why was I not able to be a priest, just because I was a woman? How could it be possible we only get one lifetime to do it right? Why are we still following rules centuries old that were imposed when the world needed to be populated? Shouldn’t She take some responsibility for overpopulation? The Catholic Church, and very adamantly the recently deceased Pope, and I disagreed pretty heartily on several issues.

And yet, I not only respected the position of Pope – I respect the man who filled the position. He held tight to his convictions in the face of strong opposition. As many reporters have said this week, he was a man of his convictions. He accepted that he was a Leader, and wielded the responsibility to the very best of his ability. He did what he believed to be right – for all his children. He was a pretty good Father figure for a man who didn’t get to have sex.

I’ve been watching the events unfold this week, and the reports of things to come. Part of what interests me is all the ritual. That was always my favorite part of the Catholic Church – all their rituals. The Mass, and the magic performed there. Now, all the pageantry is bringing together the world. For how often has the world truly been brought together in such a way. This man has touched every corner of the globe. (I never understood that term – globes don’t have corners.) And those corners are coming together in Vatican City to pay him homage. Then there are all the rituals surrounding the Pope’s death and choosing a successor. The sealing of the apartment. The destruction of the Papal Ring. The announcements. The gatherings. All have been performed before, lending them power, and yet all are being tweaked to bring them a touch more up-to-date for a modern, media-controlled world.

I’ll say one more thing. I’m sure glad I don’t have to work out the seating chart among all the World Leaders who have convened in Rome. No, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home